On a recent day off I was trying to decide what to read on my subway ride. My ‘go to’ books tend to be about yoga or business, but it was my day off so I thought I should try something different. I grabbed “Flow” by Michael Csíkszentmihályi, psychology professor, the cover was colorful, and because I had read the book many, many years ago I knew it was about creativity.
In ‘Flow’, Michael Csíkszentmihályi declares that what makes people happy and content is a method that he describes as the ‘flow’. It is a mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity.
There are three conditions that are necessary to achieve the flow state:
- One must be involved in an activity with a clear set of goals. This adds direction and structure to the task.
- One must have a good balance between the perceived challenges of the task at hand and his or her own perceived skills. One must have confidence that he or she is capable to do the task at hand.
- The task at hand must have clear and immediate feedback. This helps the person negotiate any changing demands and allows him or her to adjust his or her performance to maintain the flow state.
I was psyched! This was exactly what my clients and I experience in working together on BIG ideas. iDEA COACHING is built on three main principals:
- We become by doing. Always be task/action oriented.
- We concentrate on our strengths and work through our weaknesses.
- Working with an iDEA COACH provides constant feedback and support.
I always believed in what I was doing, and I never looked for validation of my coaching, but I must admit that reading Michael Csíkszentmihályi’s research (30 years of it no less!) showing that what I do works and makes sense felt great.
If you have a BIG iDEA, let’s flow together. It will make you happy doing it, and it will make you proud when it is done.
FLOW with you soon!
To read about iDEA COACHING click here.